We hope you enjoy this sweet and spicy Korean fried chicken recipe. The sauce is made right before your eyes and if you enjoy hot food, this is definitely a dish for you.
Here’s a list of ingredients you will need to season the chicken and prepare the sauce…
Ingredients for chicken:
- 3 ½ lbs. of chicken wings (you can use any part of the chicken for this recipe, including the breast)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- Potato or corn starch to coat your chicken before frying
- 4 cups grape seed oil (other cooking oils are fine too)
Ingredients for sauce:
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 Dried red peppers (optional)
- ¼ cup of peanuts
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup rice syrup (mulyeot)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (added when sauce is about finished)
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- The chef double fried her chicken for extra crispiness. Lower your heat for the second fry or your chicken could dry out.
- Whenever you are cooking with any kind of spicy pepper, remove the seeds otherwise your dish could be ridiculously hot.
- When your peanuts are done frying, they will be white or pale.
- Once sauce is complete, put the cooked chicken in the pan and add the peanuts while you are mixing sauce and chicken together.
- Add sesame seeds right after you remove the chicken and sauce from the pan.
- Drink your favorite beer with the chicken, it will pair well with the sweet and spicy flavor.
Take a few minutes to check out this video of a great Korean fried chicken recipe and once you make it, tell us how it went.