Sloppy Joe’s Recipe…
I am obsessed with making sloppy joe’s! They are quick, filling, and are perfect leftovers for the next day. The great thing about making homemade sloppy joe’s, is that you can use ground beef, ground turkey, and ground chicken.
When I first started making sloppy joe’s, I used the store bought sauce that was already flavored and all I had to do, was add the ground meat to it. The problem with the way I use to prepare this meal, was the sodium level in that sauce. It was extremely high and had a lot of other ingredients in it that I couldn’t pronounce. This got me to start searching for a new recipe to make sloppy joe’s where I can just make the sauce myself and know what I am putting in our bodies.
There are several ways to making this meal, however I narrowed it down to just one recipe that I found on YouTube that is pretty much similar to the way I make mine. Since my family loves cheese, we add it to our sandwiches along with some homemade french fries or a side salad.
For this sloppy joe recipe, you will need the following items:
- 1 lb of ground meat (beef, chicken, or turkey)
- ½ of a bell pepper (green pepper or red pepper) chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 stalk of celery chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or a light oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) of your choice of tomato sauce
- ½ cup of ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- your choice of hamburger buns (we use Kaiser buns!)
- If you want a smoky kind of flavoring, try adding some liquid smoke to this recipe! I use it all the time and just a tablespoon will do just fine.
- By adding ½ cup of your favorite bbq sauce will also help your sloppy joe’s to go that much further in flavor!
For this recipe and many others, head over to Sarah Carey’s YouTube channel! Enjoy